XII

ISSUE 12
By Alex Ness
March 17, 2024


Someone asked me to answer the rest of the political questions they have about me. Let me just say, I am done answering those. But someone else asked for more Alternate history, and I'll see what I can do for next time. But politics is boring and depressing, move along, think about things that are happy... if you can.

HISTORY HAPPENS

There are academic and serious mindsets that obey the most serious ways to think about history, as that the main view must never be questioned. But then ask yourself, who decides what history is? Historian refer to it as being the collective record and researched information that is compiled to form a cohesive whole. Others assume if something happened in time, that's history. But it is neither what has been written about the past, nor what is known to happen. There are two words in German, one the thing, and the other is, what was written to be the thing. Yet, still these two things are not the whole of the concept. There is evidence throughout the world of an event, perhaps where no human survived to describe it to others. There have been events happening, but the details of and change of facts changed both in lack of understanding, and so deeply in the telling, we have no clue as to what happened. Try the events of Tungunska? Ask how the Sumerians 5000 years had star maps which identified correctly all but one of the planets, when they didn't even have telescopes? So yes, next time, we'll chat alternative events and possible weird actual facts overlooked.

THIS TIME, MUSIC

I've been asked what pop music I like, well I don't. I was asked modern country music I like, well I don't like that either, generally speaking. Then they said, I thought you like everything, and I do, sort of. I think music engineered to make singles is depressing. Pop and other genre equivalents (smooth jazz, country and all) each are seen as a means to making money, not music. (My highest example is the band ABBA pure pop, expertly done, but in the end an entirely soulless venture.)

But rock, jazz, country and classic, every damn thing there is has interest. I can't really do lists. They represent who or what I listen to, but people assume I mean, I think these are the best. Favorite does not mean best, best is then too, subjective. Some people then use sales to justify their lists. And using sales to justify quality is idiocy, and using quality as obvious due to you liking it? Well that makes me vomit. If you want to know what I am listening to, let's go.

10k Maniacs
THE SMITHS
NEW ORDER

SMASHING PUMPKINS
NIN
THE CLASH
JOY DIVISION

DEPECHE MODE

THE SWALLOWS
THE CASSINI ECHOES

DISSIDENT CREATURES
J. BRIOZO
MOZART
WAGNER
ORFF

PUCCINI
AMY WINEHOUSE
SUSSAN DEYHIM

BILLIE HOLIDAY

EDITH PIAF
WAYLON JENNINGS
PETER GABRIEL
CAT STEVENS
FRANK SINATRA

 
Sadly, for a guy like me, who does make lists, this is still not complete, and it is still not in any sort of order of preference, nor does it reflect the entire of my library of music.

Like many bands, I also love Queen, but don't listen to them often and don't have them on this list. Also, I like a bunch of small bands, but don't listen to them.  So, this is more about sharing my preferred artists, group and individual, and show them in generalized groups.

HEY RPGers & GAME PLAYERS!! MY FRIENDS STEVE
CROMPTON & KEN ST ANDRE ARE Doin' a Kickstarter

CLICK HERE