17 -- Paul Harmon Artist/Writer

I want to show you a fine artist who does much more than comics. Paul Harmon illustrated my first comic work, he was involved in my first book with my name on the cover, (a Life of Ravens) and is a friend. His art blows me away.

Find him at his patreon.  Find him at his instagram.  All images are copyright© their respective owners.


His first notable work was MORA which was lauded for the art, but the overall writing led to mixed reviews overall. Despite there being excellence in the story and writing, it didn't make the impact it might have otherwise. Now, I think the problem was his trying to tell a story in ways that were not traditional. I am often a fool for great art, but I think the concept was solid, he created a world that was in many ways new, and the characters all deserved to be explored and known. He told it through the voice of more than one narrator, rather than traditionally first person or second person points of view.  The world had more to find, but the story ended before it was truly finished. I wanted to linger in the world he created, and thought it quite special.


Sea of Red was his next prime work to find recognition. Paul Harmon and a group of illustrators, who emphasized mood and impressionism, joined writer Rick Remender to tell a story about a group of pirates who travel through time, and hunt their enemies. They are able to do so, because they happen to be vampires. Using a bone colored paper and the color red, the work is meant to evoke feelings as well as tell a story that isn't appreciated nearly as much as it should be.

Harmon has loved Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles since childhood, and he has done work on Tales of TMNT through Mirage. He's so talented he made me interested in a series that held none prior in me.  That's actually quite an accomplishment. Go look at his work, and support his projects, it'll be worth your time and support.