19- A Great Cartoon


GARGOYLES
By Alex Ness
May 4, 2024


I have watched cartoons since youth, and still love some of those I think are the best. I was in my last year of grad school and would come to have odd hours and there was a battle between short term jobs, enjoying my final days in university, suffering a miserable stretch of insomnia, and driving back and forth to Fargo ND from my home in Plymouth MN.  It was not a trying time, but for the insomnia.

But in the insomnia periods, I watched late night re-runs of Star Trek DS9, (they ran 3 episodes a night and in order) and I watched two cartoons that I would tape, Transformers: Beast Wars which I also loved, and Gargoyles.

Historically Gargoyles were found on buildings in important cities and towns. The concept was that they'd go from stone to flesh, and come to life when there was danger and would defend the building, using all sorts of methods to win. They were made to look like monsters to reflect their power, and to create fear in the hearts of the intruder. They'd return to stone when the battle was over. As a historian I appreciate the Gargoyles history and purpose, and I still find them beautiful.

Gargoyles the television show featured a tight continuity, great voice actors, and stories that didn't follow a loop of cliches and tired tropes. It was one of the finest cartoons I know of.

Go find a version of it that you want to explore, and prepare to be blown away.

It is now also found in DVDs, Blu-rays and comic books, it works in each form.